Saturday, May 28, 2005

Towns of Toscana

I have been working on a detailed itinerary for the Toscana Trip today. I enjoy the planning and logistics but less so the 'selling' of a place that I have to do.

So much of Toscana exceeds words or photos. Can't I just write ¨Wait and see for yourself¨ or something?

We will stay the first 2 days in Montepulciano, then 2 days in Massa Maritima and the final 3 days in Montacatini Terme.

I only took photos of these areas when I was there is April during a week of weather hell! They all turned out very dark. Some of these are my photos, and others are pulled off the internet. Nevertheless...


Countryside around Montepulciano


San Biagio Temple at the foot of the hill
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Montepulciano


Montepulciano

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Taken while training: on road from Montepulciano (Pienza in background)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Taken while training around Montepulciano


Massa Maritima


Massa Maritima

Massa Maritima is an official Slow City. I didn't know this the first time I was there but now that I look back at the time I was there I have to smile. It makes sense. I walked into town my first night to find a place for dinner. It was a small place run by a family (of course). The waiter prepared a salad for me. Would I like tomatoes? Yes, please. Would you like onions? Yes, please. Would you like arugula? Yes. What about goat cheese? Would you like.... Eventually he finished designing my salad. It was however the most amazing salad! It had the most delicious tomatoes--they were so flavorful! And the goat's cheese! Heavenly! I had a wild mushroom pasta after that which came quickly. But as you know, when the pasta is ready it is ready. You can't wait. I was the first one who arrived for dinner but after I had finished my pasta there were two other families and a single gentleman eating as well. The waiter brought me lots of tourist info to me. A huge stack! I read through some of it... but was really ready to go. I had done almost 6hrs training that day and was really hoping to get to bed soon. The young guy asked for his check, and said he was in a hurry. The waiter commented that he didn't understand the reason to rush food. Why go out for dinner if you do not stay long enough to enjoy the ambiance? Hmm.. I felt I should wait a bit longer before asking for my bill. The mother brought out her fresh tiramisu. The son showed off the desert to evry table. Tiramisu is my favorite desert. I guess I could have a desert to pass the time. Although, I he does not ask me if I would like desert. Not yet? Would I have to wait longer? I thumbed through the info brochures more. I was really tired. I had been there over two hours. I waited a bit longer. Ok, just 5 more minutes and if he doesn't come by the table and offer me desert I will ask for the bill... Eventually I stood up and went over to the counter to pay my bill. But don't you want some tiramisu first? I declined and said that I maybe tomorrow I would have some. He seemed offended that I was leaving. Was it too soon? When you dine alone it isn't the same--if I had good company to share my meal with I am sure I would want to stay longer. Did he understand that?

I will take the group there for dinner one night. We will fill the tiny place up I am sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home