Thursday, July 07, 2005

Back from France

I went up to France for several days to meet with the boys from Specialized and help them out with their presentation. They are releasing a new frame that it is under 900 grams--frame and fork under 1200 grams. It is a real dream bike!

A couple of the Specialized guys flew into Biarritz, so we took them out for a night of pintxos in Donostia. Even though I kept explaining to them how the whole bar-thing works in Euskadi they had a hard time adjusting to the constant bar-hopping. They would want to stay in one bar for a long time and try every pintxo. :) Simone, the Italian sports manger for Specialized, was there as well. Simone has become a pro at the bar and pintxo scene and knew all the place to go in Donostia.

Simone and I both drove our cars up to Nantes--and luckily I was there to help haul all the bikes, boxes and baggage that everyone had. Both of our cars were filled to the roof.

It was my first time in Nantes and was very impressed. It is a beautiful city and reminds me of Portland a little with the river running through the center, the many bridges and the trolly lines. I spent many hours walking around the old part of town. Our hotel was just a 5 minute walk away.





I just hung out with the Specialized crew and helped them out when they needed it. We went to the Tour de France opening ceremonies and the Gerosteiner team presentation as well. After the Giro trip, it seems that I know all the Gerosteiner mechanics and staff quite well.

We drove done to Fromentine for the opening time trial stage of the TDF. I talked my way into to VIP area even though I didn't have the accreditation for it. The car with all its decals comes in really handy sometimes!

I started my drive home after the stage but only made it as far as Bordeaux. I was exhausted! So I spent half of my birthday in France and half in Euskadi. I think this is the 3rd year in a row that I have spent my birthday in France. I ought to change that to Italy next year. Haha!

5 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Kepa said...

happy birthday!!!!

Your post has reminded me when Didier and Danielle, some Belgium friend of mine, came to the Basque Country. They were astonished with the meal and pintxos. But the most fanny time was when we were in Amorebieta, in the Ibarra sidrerĂ­a, Didier was in heaven eating his steak!!!!! jajajajaj. It was last year. They are planning to come again this year ;-)

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Nikane said...

Hola Kepa!
I noticed that you and I are the same age and have the same zodiac sign. When is/was your birthday?

I checked out your blog as well. You make me want to take a backpacking trip in the mountains. :) I was hesitant to post since your blog is in Spanish and my Spanish.... well, it isn't that great. Amazingly I have lived here 6 years and still don't speak Spanish well. I understand very well and read it as well but I do not use it enough, so I speak very badly!

Euskadi is a good place to entertain guests. This culture is very exciting especially for people our age. The 2nd day I was here I went with my family to the Leiketioko Jaiak and OH MY GOD!!! That was a shock for me. Jajaj

I am happy that the festivals are here again. This is such a great time of year.

Nik

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kepa said...

Yes, it seems that we are the same age. My birthday was in June 28.

You are really exotic. Six years living here and you know Basque Language but hardly understand spanish. Noski!!! Bermeon bizi zara eta!!!!. Bermeo oso bitzia da!!!

Nire blog-a gazteleraz idazten dut nere ama-hizkuntza delako, baina egunero egureno Ingelesez egiten dut nire lanagatik!!!! HAU NASTE BORRASTEA!!!!

Mendiak hemen oso politak dira. Ni asteburu guzti guztiak joaten naiz. Lasaitasuna, txoriak, belarra, basoak, eguzkia, elurra...Badakizu, astean zehar laborategian jotake egun guzti guztia barruan...asteburua heltzen denean nire asmo bakarra kotxea hartu eta mendira joatea da lasaitasuna bilatzera...

See you!!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Nikane said...

Exotic? Ha! More like pathetic! It is really quite unbelievable that my Spanish could be this bad after so many years. When I first moved to EH I lived in Roma and used Spanish 100% of the time. It was impossible to practice my euskara outside of the classroom. When I moved to Bermeo my Euskara teacher told me that I should always speak Basque--even if the other person did not speak well. So I did that--and eventually forgot my Spanish.

What about you? You write perfect English, did you learn English just in the classroom or have you lived in an English speaking place for awhile?

I have seen a lot of EH on my bike but have not been hiking here yet, although I talk about doing it in the off-season when I am not on the bike as much. Hopefully this year.

Since we live relatively close we should plan to meet one day.

Nik

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kepa said...

About me?, ok: I have to recognise that it was a time when i hate learning English, but not anymore. I learnt English in the classroom, and now because of my job (i am a junior researcher at the University of the Basque Country) i have to use every day (read and write scientific papers, go to congresses,....). Foreign friends and collegues say that my English is quite good but i do not believe them. My English is bad and i have a lack of vocabulary. I try to do my best, that's all. Now, i find incredible to talk to people from other countries!!!! As you know well, it is quite difficult to find people in Spain that can speak even a little English!!!!!

I have never been in the States or Great Britain but two years ago i was living in Ghent (Belgium) for 4 months. As i do not speak Dutch i did always in English!!!!

About meet together, it would be a pleasure. I have to tell you that I am a bit shy... If one day you want to see beautiful mountain places (there is no need to walk too much or climb a mountain!!!!) I could recommend you some of them, or we could meet and go together, it would be a pleasure for me.

Meanwhile, have fun!!!!

Gero arte!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home